Tel: 01291 675 536

30 Years



Q.  How many free places are there for members of staff?

A.  Normally the quote will include 1 free member of staff per 10 paying children.  If you would like to take more staff than this, please make us aware at the time you enquire and we will quote according you your requirements.

Q.  Does the quote include a tour representative or full time guide?

A.  No it doesn’t.  We will arrange your itinerary and provide you with all the information for the accommodation/visits/travel and any emergency contact numbers required for when you are away, so a rep is not usually necessary.    On request we will arrange local guides for specific tours, such as Pompeii, the Colosseum, the battlefields or Auschwitz, for example.

Q.  Do we have to use your insurance?

A.  No you don’t.  We usually quote with the group insurance included, however, if you would prefer not to use our insurance please let us know and we can adjust the quote accordingly.

Q.  How much is the deposit for the trip?

A.  For day trips, such as the Opal Coast or Disneyland Paris, we normally ask for a deposit of £30.00 per pupil.  For coach trips of 1 night or more we ask for a deposit payment of £50.00 per pupil and for trips with flight travel we ask for a deposit of £100.00 per pupil.  With trips including flight travel we may as for a second instalment to cover the full cost of the flight, which is non-refundable with the airline.


Q. Must everyone travelling have their own passport?

A. Yes, everyone travelling abroad must either take their own passport or travel on a collective passport.

Q.  Does my passport need to be valid for 6 months when I travel?

A.  Passports for British citizens are valid for travel to any EU country up to and including the passport expiry date. Some countries outside of the EU require a British passport to have a certain period of validity left on it, such as 6 months.

Q. What is a collective passport and who is it valid for?

A collective (or group) passport is a way for organised groups of young people to make trips to certain European countries.

Collective passports are for between 5 and 50 children. If there are more than 50 in the group you can split it up and apply for 2 or more passports.

A collective passport costs £39 and applications take about 6 weeks. The rules are:

  • everyone on the passport must be a British national and under 18 by the end of the trip
  • there must be a group leader over 21 with a valid 10-year British passport

You should also have a deputy group leader. The passport will become invalid if the group leader can’t travel, but if a deputy is named on the application, they could take over.

Deputy leaders must be over 21 years old and hold a valid 10-year British passport.

Q.  What if a student travelling does not have an EU passport?

Foreign students travelling with your school party on their own passport which are non EU must have a visa waiver, also known as a “List of Travellers”.  This form allows pupils with non EU passports to travel as part of an educational trip, without requiring a visa.

Applications can take 8/10 weeks and must be organised by a member of the school staff.

Applications can be made via the British Council, either online or by phone. If it is the first time that you have done this you will have to register via the website below. It is free and means the student does not have to pay or apply for a visa.

Ring the British council on 01619577755 and on answering, press option 2 for a visa exemption form for educational trips. You will need to provide them with passport information for each student applying for a visa exemption form.

It is your responsibility to ensure all of your students are carrying all the relevant travel documentation.


Q. Do you provide risk assessments for school trips?

A. Yes we can provide you with risk assessments and control measure guidance for your trip. We will also provide you with details of our Safety Management System to help you complete any risk assessments.

Q. What support do you provide whilst we are on the trip?

A. We provide 24 hour support. Prior to your departure you will receive a tour pack with all the information necessary for your trip including our 24 hour contact numbers. At certain destinations we will also provide you with the emergency contact details for our local representative.


Q. How do we confirm our booking for an air tour?

A. In order to confirm a booking for an air tour we ask for a full list of passengers names as per passports and for you to be holding a £100.00 deposit per student. We can only book you on the flights once we have your list of passengers names as per passports and you are holding the £100.00 deposit.  Any delay in receiving these could result in the cost of your flight increasing.

It is essential that all passenger names are as stated as they appear on the passport.  Any errors could result in a name change fee.

We would recommend that you confirm your booking as soon as possible so that we are able to get the best possible price for your flights.

Q. How much time do we need to allow at the airport for check in?

A. You must allow at least 2 hours for check in at the airport. During busy periods it is advisable to allow extra time due to increased security and getting through passport control.

Q. What is the hand baggage allowance?

A. The hand baggage allowance depends on the airline you are booked with. Some airlines don’t have weight restrictions for hand baggage, whilst others do. There will also be restrictions on the size of the hand luggage depending on the airline. We will confirm the weight allowances and luggage size restrictions once your flight is booked.

Q. Can we change a passenger name once the flight is booked?

Yes you can. However, the airline will charge an administration fee and possibly any difference in the cost of flight at the time of making the name change. The amount of the administration fee is dependent on the airline name change policy.

Q. Can we add a passenger to a flight booking?

Yes you can add a passenger to a flight booking. However, the cost of adding a passenger is very much dependent on the cost of the flight at that time. If the cost of the flight has increased since the initial booking was made, it may be necessary to add the extra flight cost to the cost of the trip.

If a student has to cancel on a booked air tour, how much will they have to pay? All flights are non-refundable so if a student cancels on a booked air tour they will have to pay the full cost of the flight. From 10 weeks before your departure date the normal cancellation policy applies.

Q. What protection do you offer for air tours?

We have an ATOL License (6712). If an ATOL holder goes out of business, the ATOL scheme will refund the full cost of flights and air holiday packages booked with the failed company, and will arrange for passengers abroad to finish their tour and return to the UK.

Once we have booked your flights and have received your deposit payment we will issue you with an ATOL Certificate which outlines everything covered by ATOL on your particular trip. You must take your ATOL Certificate with you when you travel.


All the flights and flight-inclusive holidays on this website are financially protected by the ATOL scheme. When you pay you will be supplied with an ATOL Certificate. Please ask for it and check to ensure that everything you booked (flights, hotels and other services) is listed on it. Please see our booking conditions for further information or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go to:

ATOL Licence Terms and Conditions:

Europe for Schools Ltd.  ATOL number:  6712

Your Financial Protection

When you buy an ATOL protected flight or flight inclusive holiday from us you will receive an ATOL Certificate. This lists what is financially protected, where you can get information on what this means for you and who to contact if things go wrong.

Europe for Schools will provide you with the services listed on the ATOL Certificate (or a suitable alternative). In some cases, where neither we nor the supplier are able to do so for reasons of insolvency, an alternative ATOL holder may provide you with the services you have bought or a suitable alternative (at no extra cost to you). You agree to accept that in those circumstances the alternative ATOL holder will perform those obligations and you agree to pay any money outstanding to be paid by you under your contract to that alternative ATOL holder. However, you also agree that in some cases it will not be possible to appoint an alternative ATOL holder, in which case you will be entitled to make a claim under the ATOL scheme (or your credit card issuer where applicable).

If we are unable to provide the services listed (or a suitable alternative, through an alternative ATOL holder or otherwise) for reasons of insolvency, the Trustees of the Air Travel Trust may make a payment to (or confer a benefit on) you under the ATOL scheme. You agree that in return for such a payment or benefit you assign absolutely to those
Trustees any claims which you have or may have arising out of or relating to the non-provision of the services, including any claim against us, the travel agent (or your credit card issuer where applicable). You also agree that any such claims may be re-assigned to another body, if that other body has paid sums you have claimed under the ATOL scheme.


Q. What is your payment schedule for school trips?

Coach tours:

For coach tours we ask for a deposit payment of £50 per pupil, payable once you have your group numbers together. Once we have received the initial deposit payment we don’t ask for any other payment until your day of departure so that your pupils money can be kept securely in your school bank account and you can arrange a payment schedule to suit you and your students.

Air tours:

For flight tours we ask for an initial deposit payment of £100 per pupil, only payable once we have booked the flights. Depending on the cost of the flight we may ask for second instalment to cover the full cost of the flights. Once we have received the initial deposit payment or second instalment, where necessary, we don’t ask for any further payment until your day of departure. Your pupils money can be kept securely in your bank account and and you can arrange a payment schedule to suit you and your students.

Q. What is your cancellation policy?

Our cancellation policy:

  • more than 10 weeks – deposit only or the cost of the flight
  • within 10 weeks 50%
  • within 4 weeks 75%
  • within 2 weeks 90%
  • 3 days 100%

Obviously anybody unable to travel because of ill health would be able to claim the full amount off their insurance with the relevant doctor’s certificate.

For coach travel, a change of name is usually possible up to the moment of travel with no extra charge. There may be a charge for the change being a change of gender, as this could cause a difference in the rooming allocation.

For flights, a change of name is subject to a charge by the airline and also the difference in cost of the initial reservation cost to the cost of the flight at the time of the change.

Q.  What financial protection do you offer?

A.  Your payments are protected by way of ATOL financial bonding.  Our Public Liability insurance cover is £10 million.


Q. Will we be able to do coach excursions in the evenings?

A. All coach tours must adhere by law to EU Drivers Regulations which places restrictions on the drivers hours. These restrictions are for the safety and protection of you and the driver. Coach drivers must have eleven hours break each day.

Please bear this in mind when you are planning evening activities. It is always a good idea to discuss any plans with your driver so that you can get the most out of your tour and prevent any misunderstandings.

Q. What information do you require from the school before our departure?

A. For all tours we ask for:

  • a full list of passenger names
  • contact numbers for the group and deputy group leaders for when they are on the trip
  • the name and contact number of member of staff from school that can be contacted in an emergency out of school hours

Q.  Do the coaches have toilets?

A.  All executive coaches have toilets on board, however, we recommend that they be used for emergencies only.  The driver can only empty the toilet at licensed toilet disposal points, which are few and far between.  Regular use of the on board toilet can make the journey unpleasant for all passengers.

Q.  How many passengers can we take on a coach trip?

A.  Most executive coaches have 49 seats, though we can usually offer a 51/53 seat vehicle if required.  Availability of larger executive coaches and double deck coaches will depend on the time of year, number of persons travelling.  For larger coaches we recommend that you let us know your requirements as early as possible.

Q.  Will the coach stop for breaks the journey?

A.  Yes, however, the time and location of the stops will depend on the traffic conditions on the day.


Q. Will the group be allocated rooms near each other?

A. We always request that groups are allocated rooms near each other, however, there will be occasions where this won’t be possible due to room availability.

Q. What is a damage waiver?

A. Some hotels will request a damage waiver. A damage waiver is a deposit payment to the hotel as a precaution against any damage. The waiver is usually between 10,00 and 20,00 euros per pupil and is fully refundable providing there are no damages.


Q.  What is the replacement for the European Health Insurance Card?

A.  If you have a European Health Insurance Card it will be valid up to its expiry date.  If you apply for a card now, you’ll get a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of an EHIC.  Both cards will offer equivalent protection for emergency medical healthcare needs when in the EU on a temporary stay.  You can find further information about GHIC and the application procedure here.

Q. What if member of the group becomes ill whilst we are on the trip?

A. If a member of the group becomes ill you should visit a local doctor or if necessary go to the nearest hospital.

Q. What if we need to make a claim?

A. In order to make a claim you will need to keep all receipts as proof of any costs incurred. In more serious cases you will need to contact the 24 hour assistance number on your insurance policy.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us or use our “live chat” system.